Saturday 6 July 2013

The Wonders of the Pre-Poo

So I've found one of my new favorite things to do and its called a pre-poo. Some od you might have heard of it and others may not. For the benefit of those who don't know here's a short explanation of what a pre-poo is.

A Pre-poo is basically drenching your hair with moisture before shampooing. Why would you want to do this? Well modern shampoo is filled with chemicals to "clean" your hair. These chemicals don't discriminate between dirt & grease and your hairs natural oils and moisture (this is why conditioner was invented). Every time you shampoo your hair the good is stripped out with the bad, if you don't believe me shampoo your hair, don't condition & let it dry. Your hair will be clean ... But brittle and dry as well.

Now as I keep saying black hair is very dry and needs all the moisture it can get. As you can see below I'm particularly vulnerable to dryness



But we all want clean hair ... So what do we do? Pre-Poo!
So you may be asking ... Now that I know what a pre -poo is,  How do I pre-poo my hair.

Well there are a lot of answers to this question and the easiest answer is: its entirely up to you! Here are a few ways people pre-poo their hair
1. Drench with deep conditioner, cover with a shower cap and leave for 30mins-2hrs
 2.) Drench hair with an oil mixture, cover with a shower cap & hot towel and leave in for a few hours
3.)Drench hair with a mixture of conditioner & oils, cover with a shower cap & cover with a hot towel if desired & sleep overnight.

Here's my hair fully drenched



As you can see, a pre-poo basically consists of three elements: what you put in your pre-poo, what you cover it with & how long you leave it in. There really isn't a right or wrong way to do a pre-poo. So how do you decide? Again this is up to you... But here's what decides it for me ... TIME!

If I'm not going any where then I'll keep my pre-poo in as long as possible. If I am I'll do a short pre-poo. Either way here is the  minimum standard for my pre-poo: Time: Minimum 2-hours
Mixture: Conditioner + Oils (Coconut + Castor + Black Indian Oil)
Cover: Shower Cap wrapped in a towel.


So thats the bare minimum, on the other extreme I'll heat up the towel before placing it over the shower cap and I'll leave it in overnight.

After your set time, wash and style as usual. I'll still condition my hair after a shampoo even though I have pre-pooed. As far as I'm concerned my hair can not get too much moisture.

So wanna see the difference a pre-poo can make?



Look how soft it looks! And it felt even better! !!

I'm never going to wash my hair without doing a pre-poo first.

Let me know what you think about it in the comments below!

Next Week is my relaxer ... don't forget to suscribe to get the latest update and see how much growth I've gotten!

3 comments:

  1. I've just started taking proper care of my own hair as I reached a turning point when i realised i had close to nothing on my head when I took out my weave. Thanks for all the tips it been very helpful for me on my own hair journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you've started taking care of your hair! I just want you to know that its never too late and we'll do our best to support you. Feel free to send us any comments and questions you have!

      Delete
  2. I have been pre pooing for about 3 weeks now. I used to think it was a waste of time but wow! I experiment with different pre poo treatments every time I wash and my hair is much easier to detangle, softer and has more shine. I still deep condition as well. I've finally found a way to minimize breakage and shedding! It's a wonderful thing!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting,
We love hearing from you!